The Northwest Gifted Child Association (NWGCA) is a support and advocacy organization for parents of gifted children. Organized in 1963 (20 years before the state legislature provided grant money to school districts for gifted education programs), NWGCA provides support and information to parents of gifted children. It continues to help parents enhance and hone their parenting skills. It gives them tools to speak out for an appropriate gifted education and deal with this learning difference we call giftedness.
Members of NWGCA are kept informed about upcoming events, are involved in speaking up for gifted education with policy makers, and are linked with other parents and gifted education leaders. NWGCA works with individual families, talking with them by phone and through emails, providing appropriate referrals and resources.
No one is more effective at educating educators and policy makers about the traits of giftedness than informed parents. If your child is gifted, or you believe your child is gifted, you need to be a member of Northwest Gifted Child Association.
Ten Ways NWGCA Makes a Difference
- Creates the one voice that shapes education policy for high potential learners.
- Supports the development and programming of local school district parent groups for gifted education.
- Provides individual guidance to parents who need advice about the educational and emotional needs of their gifted children.
- Creates a dialogue between the parents of gifted students and their educators.
- Provides practical parenting tips for nurturing a child’s unique gifts and talents.
- Links parents with dynamic resources for parenting gifted children.
- Helps parents articulate their gifted childrens' needs to policy makers and educators by keeping them up-to-date on the most recent gifted education studies.
- Links parents of gifted with other parents, so they can learn from one another.
- Supports the development of parent leaders.
- Hosts at least two regional parent education events each year.
Northwest Gifted Child Association, PO Box 30134, Seattle, WA 98113